About Neil Bramsen

Neil Bramsen

My name is Neil Bramsen and I’m an Assistant Principal at Mt Ousley PS on the NSW South Coast. I currently teach a 1:1 laptop stage 2 class  along with Robotics and Rocketry Clubs and and special interest science and STEM programs.

This blog commenced as a way of communicating my findings during a trip to the USA in October 2009 to investigate the “innovative and engaging use of technology in environmental and science education.” It is now proving a useful platform for expanding on broader K-6 and middle school learning with a focus on Project (or Purpose) Based Learning, space science education, robotics and environmental education. 21st Century learning design, school cultural change, teacher mentoring and STEM curricula are current interests.

In 2010 and 2012 I was fortunate to take part in the Honeywell Educators @ Space Academy and Advanced Educators programs at the US Space and Rocket Center – these experiences enabled me to introduce robotics and rocketry into my school and hook kids into science through hands-on learning experiences.

In 2013 I attended the Apple Distinguished Educator Asia-Pacific Institute after extensively using iPads,  iBooks and content creation apps to create engaging and differentiated learning experiences when teaching Kindergarten and year one. My school, Mt Ousley PS is an Apple Distinguished School.

In 2014 I travelled on a Churchill Trust Fellowship to investigate “Our future scientists –  innovative programs for primary and middle school students that target Maths, Engineering and Science.” The report of the USA and UK trip can be found on this site.

In 2015/16 I’m focusing on authentic project based learning experiences and developing cultures of respect and reflection in the classroom through explicit reflection, a growth mindset and quality discussion that facilitates more effective teaching and learning experiences.

always learning

dare mighty things

One thought on “About Neil Bramsen

1. Wow Neil… Operation Sandbox is fantastic! Beautifully integrated across key curriculum areas, as well as being authentic and engaging for all students. I’ll definitely share with my colleagues.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tanya O’Brien – Victoria